Group Chat Room Rules
By using The Health Forum NZ’s Group Chat Room(s) you agree to the following rules and guidelines:
- You are aged 18 or over.
- Confidentiality: Whatever is shared within the group remains in the chat room. Share with others outside the group only what you have learned about yourself. Do not refer to people’s names or identifying characteristics outside the group.
- This is a non-judgemental safe space where participants can bring their whole selves.
- Comment with respect for other members’ feelings and points of view.
- Cultivate an attitude of non-judgemental acceptance for yourself and others.
- Avoid giving advice or “fixing” another’s problem.
- Respect: Everyone grieves losses in their own, unique way, and the context for each person’s loss is different, so it is important to respect others’ right to the feelings and thoughts.
- Try to use “I” statements (as opposed to “you”, ie. share your own story, feelings, thoughts and struggles, along with coping strategies.
- The Health Forum NZ has no religious affiliations or philosophical associations. Participants must respect the beliefs and non-beliefs of others by commenting about your own as they relate to you specifically, without remarks or linked content that would challenge another person’s beliefs or non-beliefs.
- The Health Forum NZ has no political ideology or agenda. Discussion should focus on your experiences as they relate to your own grief and loss. This is not a space for discussing politics.
- You may discuss your own experiences of help that you have received, and post links to other organisations or individuals who advertise their services publicly. These recommendations are not endorsed by The Health Forum NZ.
- Do not share private details of yourself or your family members to the group. If you wish to make private contact with a group member, please contact the Moderator who can put you in touch.
- Do not include any screenshots of conversations or personal details of members who are not part of the group.
- Do not solicit donations or in-kind items and services.
- Anyone who violates these guidelines or disrespects a moderator or admin can be removed from the chat room, and your login to the website blocked.
Looking after yourself
The Group Chat Room is not a substitute for professional help. If you are worried about your own or someone else’s mental health, the best place to get help is your GP or local mental health provider. However, if you or someone else is in danger or endangering others, call police immediately on 111.
IF YOU NEED TO TALK TO SOMEONE URGENTLY:
- LIFELINE: 0800 543 354 or 09 5222 999 within Auckland (available 24/7)
- SUICIDE CRISIS HELPLINE: 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) (available 24/7)
- YOUTHLINE: 0800 376 633, free text 234 or email email@example.com or online chat
- NEED TO TALK? Free call or text 1737 (available 24/7)
- KIDSLINE: 0800 543 754 (available 24/7)
- WHATSUP: 0800 942 8787 (1pm to 11pm)
- DEPRESSION HELPLINE: 0800 111 757
- SAMARITANS – 0800 726 666